Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that can have major health benefits for the human body. Because it is made out of a cocoa tree seed, it is one of the most powerful sources of antioxidants on the planet.
It has been scientifically proven that it can keep your brain sharp, your heart ticking right and your skin shielded from the harmful rays of the sun.
When you choose dark chocolate, make sure it has 70% or more cocoa content as it contains key vitamins, magnesium, fiber and iron among other minerals.
Here are the benefits of eating dark chocolate:
- Improves blood flow and brain function – the flavanols found in dark chocolate help the arteries relax. Therefore improving blood flow and preventing blood clots. And because of the increased blood flow to the brain it also improves brain functions.
- Diabetes – moderate daily consumption of dark chocolate lowers insulin resistance, which in turn decreases fasting insulin and glucose levels.
- Heart disease – the flavanols also fight the bad cholesterol, thus lowering risks of heart attacks and heart failure.
- Fatigue and stress – it produces stress busting endorphins and helps fight against fatigue. It helps regulate your mood and sleep by enhancing the actions of the transmitters in your brain, such as serotonin.
- May protect skin against sun rays – it is shown that flavanols from cocoa can improve the blood flow to the skin, thus protecting it against sun induced damage.
Dark chocolate also contains sugar, but the amounts are usually small. The darker it is, the smaller the amounts of sugar it contains and it should be consumed in moderation. A square or two every other day will be enough to satisfy your sweet tooth without hurting your diet.
Be aware when you buy dark chocolate though. An organic dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content is of very high quality. Anything less than that and you should consider twice before buying it.